How do I apply for a Variance or Appeal?
If a landowner believes that a variance or administrative appeal is justified, an application must be filed with the Planning Department at least 21 days prior to the next scheduled Board meeting. The application consists of a letter addressed to the Zoning Board of Adjustment and submitted to staff, a site plan drawn to scale showing the proposed request, and the appropriate non-refundable filing fee. The letter should include each of the following:
• Date
• Applicant’s name and contact information
• Address of the subject property
• Legal description of the subject property
• Detailed explanation of the variance request:
o Description and dimension of the variance or appeal requested (i.e. variance to side yard setback),
o Why it should be granted, and
o What hardship would be incurred, if not granted.
• Detailed explanation of the administrative decision to which an appeal is requested

In the case of a variance consideration, it is up to the applicant to prove to the Board that strict application of the ordinance will result in an unnecessary and undue hardship.

In the case of an appeal, it is up to the applicant to provide a reasonable alternative to the administrative decision supported with facts.

Show All Answers

1. What is a Variance?
2. What is an Administrative Appeal?
3. How do I apply for a Variance or Appeal?
4. What does not qualify as a hardship?
5. Who can grant a Variance or Administrative Appeal?
6. What is the procedure for granting a Variance or Administrative Appeal?
7. Should I contact the Board prior to the meeting to explain my case?
8. If my request is denied, can I re-apply or get my money back?
9. What does it cost to apply for a Variance or an Appeal?