When is a building permit required?
A building permit is required for any new structure, building addition, or remodeling project taking place in the City of Benbrook. Only one-story detached accessory buildings less than 120 square feet (storage buildings, playhouses, etc.) and retaining walls less than 4 feet (4') in height are exempt; these structure must still meet setback requirements. The Benbrook City Council has adopted minimum standards for construction and materials to protect life, health, and safety. These standards are contained in the building code, plumbing code, electrical code, and mechanical code. If unsure about permit requirements, check with the City’s Inspection Department at 817-249-6064.

Show All Answers

1. When is a building permit required?
2. Do I need a permit to install or replace windows?
3. What must I have before I can get a building permit?
4. What do I need to complete a building permit application?
5. How long is the permit review process for residential projects?
6. How long is the permit review process for commercial projects?
7. Is a building permit all that is required?
8. Can a building permit be issued without subcontractors being listed on the permit application?
9. Why must my property be platted?
10. How do I know if the property is platted?
11. Will a building permit be issued on an unplatted piece of property?
12. Can an application be made for a building permit while the site is being platted or zoning is pending?
13. What is the cost of a permit?
14. What forms of payment are accepted for permits?
15. Once I obtain a permit, what happens next?
16. Is a permit required to occupy or use a building?
17. What is a Certificate of Occupancy?
18. Why is a Certificate of Occupancy needed?
19. What should be done with a Certificate of Occupancy once it is received?
20. Can a Certificate of Occupancy be revoked?
21. How can I get a copy of the Building Code?
22. Can I do construction work myself?
23. Can a portion of a building or structure be occupied prior to the completion of the entire building or structure?
24. How may I apply for a zoning change or a special use permit for a parcel of land?
25. May I apply for a variance for construction-related items?
26. What licenses or certificates are required to operate a restaurant?
27. Is a “foundation-only” permit available?
28. How are addresses assigned?
29. How do I contact the Permit and Inspection Department?
30. Where can I obtain information on existing water and sewer lines?
31. What are the fees for new water service, meter and/or impact fees?
32. How do I schedule an inspection?
33. What are the setback requirements for detached accessory (storage or shop) buildings?